Bayou Land Families Helping Families partners with the Louisiana State Department of Education to offer advocacy for students with exceptionalities, both while in school and as the student graduates and transitions into adult life. Our IEP and Transition Specialists are trained to assist families with every step of the process.
We support inclusive education so that students with special needs can learn in the least restrictive environment. To help parents advocate for their special needs child, our staff attends numerous meeting, conferences, and trainings on education laws and student rights. Our IEP Specialist provides the following assistance to parents, students, and teachers:
- Advocacy- Parents can invite our IEP Specialist to IEP meetings as an advocate to ensure that the student’s needs are being met.
- Information- Our staff offers information through meetings, workshops, and conferences as well as through our Lending Library, where parents can access books on IEPs and special needs.
- Peer-to-Peer Support- Families can arrange an in-person meeting with our IEP Specialist to discuss the individual child and get advice on how to advocate for him or her.
To receive IEP assistance, please fill out a Consent Form and turn it in to Renee Frye either by email or in person.
For more information on Education Advocacy contact:
We believe that with the right help, individuals with disabilities can lead meaningful lives in the communities in which they live. Our transition specialist helps guide individuals and families both through transition planning in school and into adult life.
We offer transition assistance in the following areas:
- Transition Plans- Our specialist can advocate for students who are in school through transition plans.
- Supported Employment- Providing information about employment options and making referrals to appropriate agencies.
- Independent Living- Providing information and referrals to appropriate agencies to help individuals who seek to live on their own.
For more information on Transition Assistance contact: